Dual Enrollment of high school students at community colleges has been growing rapidly in the last few years, as it helps students complete their first couple of year of college while attending high school which can save them both time and money. Many community colleges are now relying on dual-enrollment for a significant percentage of their enrollment numbers which is tied to their funding allocations. Textbook cycles and responsibility for payment, however, differ between high schools and community colleges. Some high schools pay for the college-level textbooks just as they would for any other high school book while others require students and their families to cover the expense. Textbook purchase cycles also differ. Many high schools only upgrade their textbooks every seven years but college departments update their books in half that time or less. Adopting OER in these classes can reduce costs for students and high schools as well as eliminate the friction associated with differing textbook cycle issues.
Join us to hear faculty and administrators describe why and how they selected OER for their dual enrollment classes, how OER is a good fit for that setting, and lessons learned from the process of adopting and using OER in dual credit classes. After we hear from our speakers we will have a panel discussion, so bring your questions.
When: Wednesday, April 3, 12pm PT/ 3pm ET
- Heather Syrett, Assistant Department Chair, General Studies, and Student Development, Austin Community College
- Todd McCann, English Instructor, Bay de Noc Community College
- Robin T. Thomas, English and Humanities Instructor, Chattahoochee Technical College
- Peter J. Shapiro, Director, Creative Learning Services, FSCJ Online and Workforce Education, Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Nancy Webster, Executive Director of Articulations, Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Nikki Stubbs, Educational Technology Coordinator, Technical College System of Georgia
Please use the following link to register for the webinar. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information on how to join us on April 3rd.